The Legal Design Lab and the National League of Cities released a series of how-to guides and worksheets for those in charge of emergency rental assistance programs. How can local governments, legal aid, courts, and nonprofit partners prevent evictions, by getting more financial assistance to people in need?
This Emergency Rental Assitance toolkit gives practical, specific guidance to local policymakers and eviction coalitions.
The toolkit includes support on these topics:
- A functional checklist city leaders can use as they design and implement an ERA program from start to finish
- Best practices for communication, outreach and engagement with communities, including paper-based and digital approaches, strategies to tailor outreach to tenants who are eligible but are not accessing the ERA program, and an interactive website audit worksheet
- Tips for effectively partnering with relevant courts and a step-by-step guide for creating a landlord engagement strategy
- The importance of mapping the ERA process and eviction prevention services available through the local network of service providers and community-based organizations
- How cities can align their ERA programs with other eviction prevention efforts and coordinate implementation across internal and external systems
- Tips for visualizing, mapping and analyzing ERA program data to inform program design and implementation